Books, online learning tools, tutors and more available to help students make the gradeSummer days are numbered and it’s almost time to get back into the back to school routine. With most Omaha area schools kicking off classes by mid-August, Omaha Public Library will be offering a variety of back to school events to help students prepare for a successful school year. All events are free and open to the public.
- Tuesday, Aug. 5, 4 p.m. at W. Clarke Swanson Branch, 9101 W. Dodge Rd., 402-444-4852. Get Ready for Kindergarten Storytime: Kindergarten rookies (and their siblings) are invited to hear stories and sing songs about school.
- Tuesday, Aug. 5, 6:30 p.m. at Milton R. Abrahams Branch, 5111 N. 90th St., 402-444-6284. Homework Help Showcase: Learn about homework help resources available at OPL. All ages are welcome.
- Wednesday, Aug. 6, 4:30 p.m. at Millard Branch, 13214 Westwood Ln., 402-444-4848. Typing Basics: Elementary and junior high school students are invited to attend this workshop to help increase their typing speed. Registration required.
- Thursday, Aug. 7, 4 p.m. at W. Clarke Swanson Branch. Get Ready for Middle School: Learn tips and tricks for a successful middle school experience, including hallway navigation and etiquette, school supplies, and using library resources. Registration required.
- Friday, Aug. 8, 1 p.m. at A.V. Sorensen Branch, 4808 Cass St., 402-444-5274. Back to School Craft. Registration required.
- Monday, Aug. 11, 3:30 p.m. at Bess Johnson Elkhorn Branch, 2100 Reading Plz., 402-289-4367. Back to School Photo Fashion Show: Students of all ages are invited to stop by the library after school to show off back-to-school outfits and have a photo taken. A craft is also available during this program.
- Tuesday, Aug. 12, 6:30 p.m. at Florence Branch, 2920 Bondesson St., 402-444-5299. Surviving Middle School: A panel including a school psychologist, teachers, students and parents will share information about what new middle school students can expect in the coming year.
- Wednesday, Aug. 13, 1:30 p.m. at Benson Branch, 6015 Binney St., 402-444-4846. Back to School with Homeschool: Learn more about what the Benson library and community center have to offer homeschool families. Registration preferred.
- Thursday, Aug. 14, 10 a.m. at Charles B. Washington Branch, 2868 Ames Ave., 402-444-4849. The Alphabet Man: This interactive program will focus on learning letters and numbers with the enthusiastic Alphabet Man.
- Saturday, Aug. 16, 2 p.m. at Florence Branch. Tween/Teen Hangout: Snack and Chat: Join other teens and tweens to share thoughts and survival tips on going to middle school. Registration required.
- Saturday, Aug. 23, 10:30 a.m. at W. Dale Clark Main Library, 215 S. 15th St., 402-444-4800. Back to School Storytime.
- Thursday, Aug. 28, 2 p.m. at Millard Branch. Homeschool Open House: All ages are welcome to learn about homework resources, storytimes, take-home storytime programs, science kits, expert staff, and even a new pet snake! Preview online learning resources. Registration required.
for information about additional programs offered at Omaha Public Library’s 12 metro locations.