Earth Day is celebrated on April 22, making the entire month of April the perfect time to increase awareness about going green. At Omaha Public Library (OPL), every day is earth day!
Did you know that Watt Detector devices are available for checkout at all 12 OPL branches? In partnership with Omaha Public Power District (OPPD), OPL has Kill-A-Watt devices that can be used to measure the amount of electricity your household appliances use. Did you know that you can recycle at OPL? Bring your used CFL bulbs and printer cartridges to any OPL location for recycling. You may also pick up Omaha recycling bins at several OPL locations: Bess Johnson Elkhorn Branch (2100 Reading Plz.), Charles B. Washington Branch (2868 Ames Ave.), Milton R. Abrahams Branch (5111 N. 90th St.), Saddlebrook Branch (14850 Laurel Ave.), and South Omaha Library (2808 Q St.).
Finally, did you know that OPL celebrates spring with eco-friendly events? Go green and carpool, walk or bike to your local OPL branch to enjoy these free programs.
Some events require registration or have recommended ages for participation. For detailed descriptions or to register, visit omahalibrary.org or call the hosting branch.
- Green Cleaning: Learn how to create easy, eco-friendly cleaning products for your home by using basic household ingredients. All materials are provided.
- Tuesday, April 2, 6 p.m., Florence Branch, 2920 Bondesson St., 402.444.5299
- Tuesday, April 9, 6:30 p.m., Millard Branch, 13214 Westwood Ln., 402.444.4848
- Saturday, April 13, 4 p.m., Charles B. Washington Branch, 402.444.4849
- Edible Landfill: Learn how the trash process works and what we can do to help our community and earth. Intended for ages 5-11.
- Saturday, April 6, 2 p.m., Willa Cather Branch, 1905 S. 44th St., 402.444.4851
- Green Body Care: Learn how to make your own salt or sugar-based body scrubs. All materials are provided.
- Saturday, April 6, 3 p.m., Charles B. Washington Branch
- Saturday, April 13, 1 p.m., South Omaha Library, 402.444.4850
- Tuesday, April 23, 5 p.m., Milton R. Abrahams Branch, 402.444.6284 (for teens)
- Saturday, April 27, 2 p.m., A.V. Sorensen Branch, 4808 Cass St., 402.444.5274 (for teens)
- DIY Recycled Bracelet Craft: Transform an unwanted T-shirt into a colorful bracelet. All materials provided. (for teens)
- Tuesday, April 9, 6 p.m., Florence Branch
- Green Cleaning & Body Care: Learn how to create green cleaning and body care products using basic household supplies. All materials are provided.
- Thursday, April 25, 3 p.m., A.V. Sorensen Branch
Visit omahalibrary.org for information about additional programs offered at Omaha Public Library’s 12 metro locations.