The Virginia Frank Memorial Writing contest is held each year in the Spring, to recognize the creative writing talent of our area students. This contest, sponsored by the Friends of Omaha Public Library, recognizes the top three winners from each grade. Each winner receives a cash prize and certificate, is recognized in a ceremony at the library, and has their story published on the library website. The school libraries of each winning student are also recognized with a matching cash prize.
|Online Submission FormEligibility Requirements
- Students must be in 5th to 8th Grade, and live in Douglas, Sarpy, Washington, Dodge or Saunders County.
- Students may be enrolled in public, private, parochial, or home school.
- Entries must be typed and no longer than 750 words.
- Entries must include a cover page with the writer's name, address, phone number, name of school/home school, and grade.
- Entries must be original fiction featuring a character from a book you have enjoyed. Identify the book and author from which your character originated in the title or subtitle of your story.
- Due to any branch by close of business on March 1 or submitted online.
- First ($100), second ($50) and third place ($25)
- Prizes will be awarded to the top three winners from each grade.
- The school library of the winning students will be recognized with matching cash prizes.
Read the winning stories from the Virginia Frank Memorial Writing Contest.About Virginia Frank
The Virginia Frank Memorial Writing Contest began in 2003 and is named in honor of a longtime Friends of Omaha Public Library volunteer. Virginia Frank was a Central High and UNO graduate. She acquired a master’s degree from Brown University and taught English literature and creative writing at UNO for many years. Her passion for students and young people inspired everyone around her, and her enthusiasm encouraged many students to explore their creative writing talents. Frank volunteered thousands of hours with the Friends of OPL to help ensuring a bright future for our public libraries.